Monday, April 03, 2006

#1 Excited boy grows up

Feature: Patrick Wolf

What a funny white boy. Funny means unique here, and British of course. I hear a faint similarity to Jeff Buckley and Bjork but there's little indication that he was going for either sound: this music is original; something unique and still very very listenable. At 18 years old, this multi-instrumentalists first album was released in the UK and a year later the US and UK.




Lycanthropy- Something you good Christian children may not want to hear, but this is DEFINETLY for the priests out there, with songs about such wholesome topics as castration and child molestation. The lyrics are surprisingly poetic for such topics. This album has been self-described (by the man, not the album) as a somewhat manic way for him to express everything that he had learned up to that point. Manic it is. The beats are pretty frantic, though catchy as all hell, and there's a bit of a signature shriek he makes that I find very lovable. This album is a raw and honest self-exploration characterized by heavy beats, folk-sounds, and occasional shrieking.

The Childcatcher
To The Lighthouse
Buy this album




Wind in the Wires- Did he have that great voice when he was singing about total chaos in his first album?! I suppose he did, but it definitely stands out more in this album. It only took 2 years for this boy to grow up. This album is a huge step forward. Has Patrick calmed down in his old age of 21? As the song "Tristan" suggests ("My name is Tristan, and I am alive"), he is still very capable of being the manic Patrick of Lycanthropy, but slowed down and much more beautiful, it seems like Patrick Wolf has become a bit more jaded and much more well-rounded. From the Song "The Gypsy King" : "I recall when I was younger There was a fire To travel the world And shine with a passion But as ambition shoots blank....I see a small house Built on the sea I could live there alone With a horse and a ukulele " If that's not jaded, I don't know what is.

The Libertine
This Weather
Buy This Album

Patrick Wolf's 3rd album, "The Magic Position" will be out Summer 2006


"A lot of people have asked me "Why aren't you doing so much electronic stuff?" To me, there's never been a difference between electronic and acoustic. I've always had this idea that electricity is another element like wind or fire or water. There's lightning, for god's sake! An electronic instrument is just harboring a natural element the same way that a guitar is harboring an acoustic element. It's all nature, really."

"There's a lot of humor on the first record. I think a lot of people thought I was quite ridiculous when I first came out, especially in England, and it freaked me out because what I was doing was so from my blood, from my guts. Part of being human is having a sense of humor, you know?"


www.patrickwolf.com
http://www.myspace.com/officialpatrickwolf


Technorati Profile

Other song's to get people away from mainstream radio and MTV:

The Eels - "Sound of Fear" ~ this song is lemonade on a hot summer afternoon. :-D

Rx Bandits - Only for the night ~ Ska kids grow up sometimes too. One of my favorite bands; they are always progressing. This song hopefully does not characterize the album, though it is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker